Design for Patentability™ Training Program - Level 1
19 października 2020, godz. 0.00
In an era of continuous competitive race, constantly emerging innovations or unmet consumers’ needs, as well as in a world in which an economic crisis caused, for example by an epidemic, can appear almost overnight, it is extremely important to care for the development of your own business and being ahead of competitors actions.
Development is usually an expensive process and should be treated as an investment in the future of our company. It is even more important for this process to be well planned and effective and its results properly protected against copying or imitations.
The answer to this need is the methodology of MIT professor Sergei Ikovenko, who during many years of scientific, educational and consulting activity has developed a number of tools and algorithms that allow to create innovations effectively and that additionally guarantee the possibility of effective patenting. Design for Patentability - because we talk about this methodology - is based on the approach developed many years ago and called pragmatic innovations, but adds to it an additional dimension related to the protection of intellectual property rights.
DFP is a relatively young tool, but it is gaining more and more recognition, especially in strong and fast-growing Asian economies. In Austria and Germany Jantschgi C&R is the first consulting company that offers DFP trainings with his longterm partner Sergei Ikovenko. In Poland Crido R&D is the first consulting company that uses, among others, this particular methodology in the implementation of consulting and advisory projects.
In addition to everyday services for clients in the field of specific innovative problems, today we would also like to contribute in the process of disseminating knowledge about DFP among entrepreneurs. Thus, we invite you to take part in DFP Training Program, which has been divided into 10 sessions.
Below you will find an agenda of DFP Training Program and some detailed information.
If you are interested in the DFP matter you can watch recordings of our 3 free webinars, which are introduction to DFP Training Program:
- DFP Tools for competitive patent circumvention
- DFP Tools for strengthening your own IP
- DFP Tools for Innovation Projects
- Introduction - Two DFP methodology directions:
- Designing new products/technologies, improving existing one with the possibility of patenting;
- Working with the existing IP, circumventing, strengthening, developing firewalls, identifying ‘white spots’, etc.
- Intellectual Property in general. Patents in engineering:
- Patent application requirements:
- Subject matter eligibility
- Non-obviousness (inventive step)
- Analytical Tools for DFP (devices):
- Component Analysis of device
- Independent Claim decomposition:
- o Decomposition rules
- o Possibility of bringing in Supersystem components
- Ghost components™. Examples of Ghost components™
- Interaction Analysis, Interaction Matrix and its outcome
- Device and Independent Claim function modeling - rules, recommendations, ranking
- Tools for designing innovation strategies in innovation projects and competitive patents:
- Technology-Function Matrix
- Function - X-parameter Diagram
- “Value change for X-parameters” criteria (one of KPI)
- Trimming as a DFP multi-purpose tool (for devices):
- Rules of Trimming:
- Rule selection
- Recommendations for each rule
- Partial Trimming
- Virtual Trimming:
- Cases of Virtual Trimming
- Trimming applications for DFP:
- Innovation scenarios building
- Patent circumvention and patent KPI (Key Performance Indicators)
- Patent strengthening
- The Strategy of competitive patent circumvention by Trimming:
- Specifics of function analysis for patent circumvention:
- Level of performance
- Algorithm of competitive patent circumvention
- Recommendations for trimming scenario selection
- Partial Trimming for patent circumvention
- Dragon Patents™ and how to deal with them
- Problem Solving tools for DFP. Function-Oriented Search (FOS):
- Major concepts of FOS:
- Expanding and the rules of expanding
- Narrowing down to Leading Areas
- FOS algorithm
- Leading Areas and recommendations for selecting them.
- FOS applications: patent circumvention, alternative IP, technology chains.
- The Strategy of competitive patent circumvention by Substitution:
- Strategies for selecting a component for substitution
- Issues with the Doctrine of Equivalents:
- Non-literal infringement
- Definition of an equivalent
- Using FOS to avoid patent infringement
- Substitution strategy and Prosecution History Estoppel
- The Antidote Strategy for patent application strengthening:
- Other side of competitive patent circumvention
- Using the strategy on patent applications
- Using the strategy on issued patents
- Problem Solving Tools for DFP. Resolving Technical (Engineering) Contradictions:
- Trimming and Substitution engineering problems
- Types of engineering problem modeling and tools for processing the models
- Modeling engineering problems as Technical (Engineering) Contradictions:
- IF-THEN-BUT format
- Contradiction Matrix and Inventive Principles
- Interpreting Inventive Principles into inventive ideas - using Inventive Principles for drafting the patent claims.
- Problem Solving Tools for DFP. Resolving Physical Contradictions:
- Modeling an engineering problem as a Physical Contradiction
- Algorithm for resolving Physical Contradictions:
- Separating contradictory demands
- Satisfying contradictory demands
- Bypassing contradictory demands
- Using FOS for resolving Physical Contradictions
- Cause-Effect Chain Analysis as DFP tool
- CECA major concepts
- CECA for innovation projects
- CECA for IP-centered projects
- Introduction to Innovative Hybridization:
- Hybridization Approach and “non-obviousness”/inventive step.
- Patenting hybrids.
- Innovative Hybridization and Entrepreneurship.
- Preview of L2 Certification Workshop:
- Circumvention of patents on processes (methods)
- Picket Fence Strategy
- Development of the dependent claims
- New DFP problem solving tools
- Trends of Engineering System Evolution (part A) and using them for developing dependent claims, etc.
3. Official DFP-1 Certification Test
On graduation of DFP-1 certification program the participants will learn basic DFP tools that will enable them:
- run innovation projects ending up with patentable solution
- circumvent competitive patents
- successfully complete innovation projects on cost reduction and simplification
- find the necessary innovative technology
- develop innovation strategies for products
- perform hybridization of products ending with effective patentable engineering solution
- strengthen their own IP
On passing the Official Certification Test the participants will get DFP International certification of Level 1 DFP Practitioner.
The cost of DFP Training Program is $2200 and includes:
- access to webinars (and recordings)
- training materials
The planned beginning of the training is the 4th week of October 2020. The sessions will be organized twice a week for 5 weeks.
Sessions will be recorded (video and sound) and available for those registered participants who were not able to attend live.
If minimum number of participants wont be reached by the end of September, the course will be postponed.
We will send you payment information up to one week before the course starts.
To register for DFP Training Program, you must complete the registration form.